For Survivors. You know who you are.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Break out the champagne: it's the maiden voyage!

It's 2am, in an early-spring ice storm. What better time to launch a new blog? This one is completely unplanned, unresearched, un-SEO-optimized. I just want to write about writing for life, when you can't take life for granted -- in other words, when you're a survivor.

I say you know who you are, and I know who you are: I've met many different kinds of survivors, but we all share a kind of core experience -- which I'll call IT, for lack of a better/more specific term -- and we all need to write in order to get through IT. I hope to bring up, in my unplanned, unresearched, unoptimized way, various ways and means of writing survival, and I really hope that you will respond in kind.

Before I go take the helm, fellow-traveler, I'll just voice my IT. I survived primary-intestinal Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma 13 years ago by undergoing a stem-cell (autologous bone-marrow) transplant before which I received high-dose chemo and total-body irradiation. I'm glad to say that I've had no additional sign of disease since then (knock on wooden gunwale), but I am coping with long-term side effects (aka "late effects"), such as fatigue and brainfog, for which there are no certain medical solutions. So I'm not able to work full-time, not able to have the life I once envisioned, and afraid that secondary diseases might rear their ugly heads one of these days/months/years. That's my IT. I might tell you a little more in the future, but I don't want to swamp anyone with details, because this is about survival in general. And writing in particular.

So start writing. Please. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now: write your survival...

Followers

About Me

Cancer survivor. Writer.